Balut is known to be an exotic food for the tourist. They may not all like it but we have a few brave ones that is up for the challenge, like, Michael from Germany.
As per Wikipedia, “Balut is a fertilized duck embryo that is boiled and eaten in the shell. It is commonly sold as street food in the Philippines. They are common food in countries in Southeast Asia. It is best served with beer. Balut eaters prefer salt and/or a chili, garlic and vinegar (white or coconut sap) mixture to season their eggs. The eggs are savored for their balance of textures and flavors; the broth surrounding the embryo is sipped from the egg before the shell is peeled, and the yolk and young chick inside can be eaten.”
I’m also glad Ms. Mai2x taught me how to eat Balut. Thanks Ms. Mai for the tips and capturing the moments! I do hope you also follow her instructions. So how?
1. Crack a small hole on the shell.
2. Crack a little more and peel the shell to create a large opening.
3. Put a pinch of salt or vinegar.
4. Continuously eat the Balut meat.
5. Close your eyes or focus on another thing and swallow the Balut.